Last Updated on July 25, 2022 by Thomas James
You are probably driving around in a car that’s not running correctly. Some parts of modern cars just don’t hold a charge as they should. If you are exasperated by your car not running correctly, then you need to know how to fix a car battery that doesn’t hold charge. You will be able to tackle this problem when you know how to do it right with our tips.
Every day, cars break down and require some kind of maintenance. It is an unfortunate part of owning a car. But if you make the right decisions, you can keep the car on the road longer. One way to avoid this problem is to keep your car battery charged. Car batteries are complex devices, presenting a challenge to car owners. If your car battery won’t hold a charge, then it may be the time to learn how to fix a car battery that doesn’t hold a charge. This blog will look at common reasons for a car not charging and practical tips for fixing them.
Also read this: Can A Car Battery Get Wet Forever?
There are many steps to be taken in order to fix a car battery that doesn’t hold a charge. It is not easy to repair a car battery, and you may need to make some modifications to your car to complete the repair. The following steps will help you understand how to fix a car battery that doesn’t hold a charge. To repair a car battery that won’t hold a charge, you’ll need some essential tools:
- Plastic Funnel
- Eye Protection
- Battery post/terminal cleaner
- Battery hydrometer
- Probe-equipped voltmeter
- Load Tester for Batteries
- Treatment with a Battery (Optional)
- Charger/Starter for 6/12-Volt Batteries
First, you will need to check the battery. You should do this before you begin to repair the battery. You should make sure that the battery is charged and that the battery is in good condition.
You need to make sure that your battery is installed correctly. If the battery is not installed correctly, then it won’t be able to hold a charge. It is an excellent time to check that the battery is installed correctly. Put on your eye protection. Place a battery post cleaner on each battery post and twist it back and forth until the posts are clean and bright.
If the battery is installed properly, you can perform a load test. Place the car’s load on the battery, and then place a probe-equipped voltmeter on the battery. Connect the load tester to the battery’s positive terminal first, then the negative terminal. The positive post will be the larger of the two, denoted by a “+.” If the battery is not holding a charge, you will be able to measure the battery’s voltage.
If the battery is installed correctly, then the voltage should be about 12 volts. If the voltage is lower than 12 volts, you should replace the battery.
you also like: How Long To Recharge Car Battery After Jump?
After you have tested the battery, you will need to remove the covers from the cells. You can do this by removing the screws that hold the battery cover in place. You can also remove the battery cover with a pry tool.
After removing the covers, you will need to check the battery with a battery hydrometer. It is a simple device that you can use to check the condition of your battery. The battery hydrometer is a digital instrument that measures the specific gravity of the battery.
- Squeeze the bulb and place the tube in a battery cell using the hydrometer.
- To mix up the battery solution, squeeze the bulb a few times. If the solution is dark in color, the cell is defective, and the battery must be replaced.
- Squeeze the bulb and release it while the tube is in the solution to draw the fluid up into the hydrometer’s scale.
- Note which color the fluid takes when it rises. The battery is good in green, fair in white, and dead in red.
- Also, ensure that the battery fluid covers each cell’s lead by at least 1/8 inch. Repeat on all cells.
- Make a written record of the readings.
You can purchase a battery hydrometer from your local automotive parts store. The hydrometer will be able to tell you if the battery is losing capacity or if the battery is becoming more acidic.
You also like: How Much Does A Car Battery Weigh?
After performing the load test and the hydrometer test, you will need to examine the cells. You will need to check the condition of each cell.
- Connect the voltmeter’s positive probe to the positive battery post and the negative probe to the first cell.
- The cell has a problem if the meter does not read at least two volts.
- After that, insert the positive probe into the first cell and the negative probe into the second cell.
- Then, place the positive probe and the negative probe in the second cell.
- Repeat until all of the cells have been tested. Keep a record of your readings. The result should be zero.
During your vehicle’s battery life, it will be charged and discharged numerous times. It is critical to recharge the battery while the engine is running. It is to prepare it for the upcoming start.
Consider the following safety precautions:
- Keep a record of your battery test results.
- Before performing a battery test, make sure that the engine is off.
- Be sure that the engine is not running.
- Ensure that you are wearing safety goggles, gloves, and a dust mask.
- Make sure that you have a clear path to the battery.
- Make absolutely sure you’re not in the vicinity of any flammable materials.
- Keep in mind you’re not near any hot objects.
- You can wear an apron to protect your clothes. Splatter from the battery is possible.
- If you have a car battery that won’t hold a charge, there are several reasons. It can be a faulty battery, a bad connection, or a defective battery.
- When a car battery gets old, you may notice that it won’t charge when jumped.
- When the car’s alternator fails, the battery is less likely to be charged while the engine is running. The battery may become dead due to this, resulting in a replacement cost.
If you are not sure whether or not your battery is faulty, you should have it tested. The battery should be replaced if it is not holding a charge.
What is a battery test?
A battery test is a simple test that can be performed to ensure that the battery is healthy.
What is a battery terminal?
A battery terminal is the end of a battery connected to the battery’s positive and negative terminals.
How often should I replace my battery?
The battery should be replaced every two years.
How much does a battery cost?
The cost of a battery varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Can I use a battery that is past its prime?
Yes, you can use a battery that is past its prime. However, you should not use a battery that has a low voltage.
We hope you enjoyed our article on how to fix a car battery that doesn’t hold a charge. Remember to take your battery out of the car and get it looked at by a professional if it doesn’t hold a charge. They can help you figure out what the problem is and help you get your car fixed! We know that cars can be difficult to troubleshoot and take care of, so we hope that this blog provides some clarity and helpful solutions to the problems you might be having. Thank you for reading!